Monday, July 23, 2012

The Mind of Christ

ME FIRST!!!

This declaration rings throughout the halls of my house multiple times each day. Even though my daughters are wonderful playmates (until they're not), there tends to be an undercurrent of competition that exists between the two of them. Sometimes it's a race to pick the best Barbie out of the bunch. Sometimes it's a struggle to the perceived goal posts as they push their way out of the front door. Sometimes it's a contest to see who can finish their dinner the fastest so they can get back to more important things like dancing and imagining and coloring. No matter how insignificant it may seem to me in that moment, it is a life or death situation for my sweet, precious little rivals. They fuss. They fight. They scrutinize. They compare. I get frustrated with their disregard for each other, and there are days when I am weary with their utter selfishness.

Then I remember my own.

As I repeatedly lecture my children about shoving their way to the front of the imaginary line, I am struck with the embarrassing fact that I, too, get caught up in the desire to win. I struggle often with comparing myself with others and fight the urge to puff up my own qualities in light of theirs. It's not pretty, I know. It's downright ugly. So what's a hypocritical mama to do?

Yesterday I was drawn to the book of Philippians, and this passage jumped off the page at me.

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:3-8, ESV)

My responsibility as a Christ-follower is to put the interests of others ahead of my own. Even when I'm tired. Even when I'm cranky. Even when I've already put their needs before mine many times that day already. In this way, I can have the mind of Christ. Because He made Himself nothing so that He could give me everything. I want my life to radiate with that same humility and love.

Lord, thank You for Your obedience and for conquering death on the cross. Please help me to remember Your sacrifice as I yield my desires in order to "count others more significant" than myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment