Thursday, January 20, 2011

Humility is the Key

"Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."  Matthew 23:12

The verses that follow this declaration record what Jesus had to say about the "righteousness" of the Pharisees.  Clearly, He was not impressed at all with their strict adherence to the rules and their fancy clothes.  Their outward appearances were powerless against the presence of Christ.  Why?  Because He could see straight to their self-indulgent hearts.  He knew their thoughts and their intentions.  And what was worse, they were convincing others to fall away as well.
When I read passages that talk about the Pharisees, I realize that I have the tendency to be just like them.  I can easily fall into the trap of making myself look good on the outside, while hoping and praying that no one can see what is happening on the inside.  But God's Word teaches me to humble myself in the sight of the Lord. (1 Peter 5:6)  Humility is key to the process.  I must remember that I am only dust and a fleeting shadow.  But Christ has clothed me in His righteousness and, by His grace and power, I am able to walk worthy of His calling on my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment