Friday, January 21, 2011

Mirror Image

The other day, my sister-in-law and I were discussing the family resemblance in our children.  We compared their face structure, body style, and hair color to everyone in our immediate family tree.  It is interesting (and sometimes a little humorous) to see how much our children are like their predecessors.  The wonders of the gene pool continue to astound me as my daughters grow and develop their own personalities.  There are times when I think, "Wow, she acts just like me."  And there are times when I know without a doubt that they are mimicking their father.  Then there are those moments when I cringe because I know that what is coming out of that child's mouth is almost identical to what I said in anger the day before.  Having little miniature human recorders wandering around your house all day makes living a life of holiness somewhat daunting.
While considering the similarities between me and my children, I have become more and more aware that I am not simply a proud member of the Adams-Fletcher clan.  When I committed my life to Christ, I became a part of the family of God, which outshines any earthly family He could have provided for me.  And because I am a child of God, I should look like my Heavenly Father.  When people look at me, they should say, "Hey, you know, you look just like your Dad!"  So do I strive to be more like Him every day?  Do I long to spend time with Him like my darling daughters long to spend time with me?  Do I make Him smile as I move through the day and interact with others?  I sure hope I do.  And even though I know I don't always get it right, I know He lovingly forgives me and holds His arms open wide for me to return to Him.        

No comments:

Post a Comment