Thursday, March 10, 2011

Failures and Forgiveness

I am not an easy-going type person.  I'm sure those of you that know me well just snorted Dr. Pepper out of your nose because that was the understatement of the year.  I have never been described as "laid back"...at least not to my face.  A better portrayal of my personality might be "high strung" or "type A."  So when I encounter situations that bring stress and frustration (such as getting myself plus two preschoolers out the door in 5 minutes when I have about 15 minutes worth of things to do), I tend to morph into my own version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  This is not a pretty picture.

This morning was one of THOSE mornings.  We have had a very busy week.  My daughters are tired.  I am tired.  They do not have telepathic capabilities, so they are not able to instantly discern where mommy wants them to be and what she wants them to be doing.  As a matter of fact, on this particular morning, they could have cared less.  All they wanted to do was stay in their pajamas and watch a little bit more of Jungle Junction, thank you.  But we had an appointment and I almost lost my mind trying to get Eden and Caroline dressed and our bag packed and ready to go.  As we were making our exit to the family vehicle, I felt great remorse over my bad attitude.  I stopped and told my daughters that I was sorry for being so mean.  Eden turned and smiled at me and said, "It's okay, mommy.  I forgive you."  Then she ran over to me and hugged my leg as tightly as she could.  Caroline had no idea what was going on, but she ran over and flung her arms around my other leg as well. 

This was one of those mommy moments that spoke volumes to me about the love and forgiveness of my Heavenly Father.  I make mistakes.  I really know how to take a wonderful day and turn it into a complete mess. And my sinfulness separates me from God.  But as soon as I acknowledge my sin and seek the Lord's forgiveness, He immediately draws me back to Himself.  I do not have to jump through any hoops or work my way up any ladders.  He loves me and forgives me, regardless of what I have done.  He sees straight to my heart and knows how sorry I truly am.  I am so thankful that I can never fall out of His grace.  Lord, help me to forgive as I have been forgiven and show others the love that You have lavished on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment