Friday, March 4, 2011

Songbird

"But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.  For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress."  Psalm 59:16

Eden is my little songbird.  She is known for her ability to sing many songs of various genres.  Sometimes I will catch her standing in front of the bathroom mirror with her head tilted to the side and her hands clasped together for effect as she belts out a moving ballad.  At other times, you might find her running in circles, giggling and singing the latest kid tune she has learned at preschool.  And then there's moments like yesterday, where she sat in the grocery cart at Publix and made up a song for her own amusement (and the amusement of other random shoppers) while I did my best to focus on which brand was offering me the greatest deal.  Even now, I can hear her singing "O Christmas Tree" into her Mr. Microphone while she is supposed to be napping.  I am convinced that she will audition for American Idol someday.  And, yes, I will be one of those mothers who they will invite into the audition room so I can stand there with tears in my eyes and mouth the words while she explodes into song.

Some of my favorite moments are when Eden will quietly, or not so quietly, sing the praise songs that she has heard throughout our days together.  She lifts her voice in reckless abandon as she praises God in song.  Her sweet innocence leaves her uninhibited as she fills the car or the house with her joy.  She does not care what she sounds like.  She simply cannot resist the urge to sing.


God has given us a voice for a reason.  When we encounter the greatness and wonder of God, we cannot help but sing forth His praise.  You may be thinking that you are not the singing type.  Or maybe you feel like people might cover their ears if you were to hum a few bars.  But God is not concerned about our singing skill level.  He is concerned with the attitude of our hearts.  A heart filled with praise for the living God is powerless to contain its delight.  When we are moved by the Holy Spirit, our love for God should pour out of our souls in ceaseless praise and adoration.  Go ahead...sing a song of love to your Creator today! 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! Yes,,,yes...it is not about the beauty of the voice, but our hearts! Thank you for the joy you gave me just reading this.....and God Bless Eden!
    Love, GrandmamaJean

    ReplyDelete