Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Right Response

I find it quite humorous that Caroline's knee-jerk response to almost every question I ask is "No."  Do you want to go to bed, Caroline?  No.  Are you ready to go for a ride, Caroline?  No.  Are you having fun, Caroline?  No.  Do you want some chocolate, Caroline?  Uh huh.  Notice I said ALMOST every question produces a "No."  She does have limits.  And when it comes to chocolate, the answer is always yes.

I realize that this is a byproduct of her age because her older sister used to do the exact same thing.  When Eden was a wee little toddler and she would uncharacteristically become quiet somewhere in the house, I would yell, "EDEN..." And she would call back, "NO!"  At least I knew she was still breathing.

Even though I can sometimes chuckle at her misplaced negative responses, there are other times when it's not so cute.  There are circumstances when she says no and she most definitely means it.  In those moments, I usually have to exert my authority as her mother and firmly hold my ground in light of her rebellion.  This produces pain and disappointment for both of us.  However, I love my daughter and I want to protect her and help her choose the right path. 

As a child of the Almighty God, I must willingly obey His voice.  When I am faced with the option to either say "yes" or "no" to His plans, I need to humbly submit to His leading and know that His way is best.  Following Christ does not mean that I will always be comfortable or that I will always receive everything I think I want.  But being faithful to Him will produce spiritual fruit in my life that will cause me to radiate with His presence and bring glory and honor to Him.  Please help me to follow You with every ounce of energy that I have today, Lord.  Your will always exceeds my greatest expectations.

3 comments:

  1. You are right that some of the no answers are part of her maturity level. But they are also an attitude toward you and ultimately to her heavenly Father God. When we say no to the authorities God places over us, we pay consequences. Seems like a good time to begin gently teaching her that Jesus obeyed His Abba/Daddy. This will take time, just like it does you and me to learn of our Father. What an earnest prayer at the end! He is faithful and will answer it. blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. found your entry on Karen Ehman's blog for the hosting package. "Something" told me to check out your blog. Glad I did. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen! Thank you for your insights! I am trying to teach my girls that they should be obedient - not because "I said so" but because God has placed me in charge of them as their mother. And as they are learning to be obedient to me, they will understand more and more that they should trust and obey their Heavenly Father. But you are right...I should make it clear that Jesus was obedient to His Father, so we should follow His example. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete