Sunday, February 20, 2011

Keeping My Eyes on the Prize

"And he said to them, 'The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few.  Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."  Luke 10:2

Every time I read this verse, I have a mental image of a field.  The field is filled with grain, ready to be harvested, full of promised satisfaction, but there is no one willing to go and do the work.  As a matter of fact, the workers are completely distracted with things that do not matter.  They have set their eyes on temporal pleasures instead of focusing on the task at hand.   Diversions like shopping.  Or maybe ball practice.  Or vacationing.  Or even watching TV.

Now don't get me wrong.  I thoroughly enjoy a productive, bargain-hunting shopping trip every now and then.  I love stealing away for a few days and relaxing on a nice vacation every so often.  And I have several TV shows that I DVR every week.  But when I allow these trivial pursuits to crowd out my responsibility to go to the lost and share Christ with others, I need to stop and perform a priority check.  

It's important to note that Jesus didn't say to pray that the harvest would be plentiful.  He said the harvest IS plentiful.  HE produces the harvest.  Instead, He encouraged the disciples to pray for laborers to work and bring in the harvest.  He knew we would be selfish.  He knew we would allow the flashy, shiny things of this world to crowd out His command to go and make disciples of all nations.  We must be faithful to His calling.  The need is urgent and the fields are white for harvest. 

Lord, help me to be sensitive to Your Spirit and make me aware of those who need to move from spiritual death into eternal life.  Please break my heart for the lost and grant me the courage to share the gospel message with those who have never heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment