Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sweet Sisters and the Suffering Servant

My daughters love to take a bath.  When they hear the water begin to pour into the tub, they squeal with excitement and come running as quickly as their little legs can carry them.  I've noticed that lately they have enjoyed washing each other's feet.  Eden, who is four years old, will instruct Caroline, who is almost two, to hold her foot up so she can scrub it with her washcloth.  Caroline quickly obeys by raising one foot out of the water and then extends the other in like manner.  After Eden has sufficiently cleaned Caroline's feet, they switch roles and Eden offers her feet to her sister.

As I have watched this scene unfold night after night, I cannot help but think of the events that occurred during the Last Supper on the night before Jesus was brutally beaten and crucified.  In John 13, we read where Jesus "poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him" (John 13:5).  The King of kings humbled Himself and bent down to scrub the dirt off of the disciples' feet in order to model for them what true servanthood was all about.  He said, "If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet" (John 13:14).  Jesus provided the ultimate example.  Not only did He show His love for them by performing this act of service, but hours later He would die on a cruel cross to pay the overwhelming debt for their sin...and for ours.

Am I willing to follow in the footsteps of Christ?  Do I delight in serving others or do I allow my selfish attitude to cloud any holy desire to display Christ to those around me?  Do I willingly offer myself as a sacrifice or do I miss opportunities to see God work because I am too distracted with my own problems or plans?  Lord, please help me to be aware of the needs of those around me today and extend Your love to all those that You place on my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment