Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Out of my hands and into His grasp

"And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?  If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?"  Luke 12:25-26

I am a professional worrywart.  Seriously.  If worrying were an Olympic event, I would probably win the gold metal.  I worry about my health.  I worry about my husband and my daughters.  I worry about the future.  When I finish worrying about one thing, I just pick something else out to worry over.  I am a chain-worrier.

However, God's Word is clear that being anxious is wrong.  When I allow anxiety to control my day, I reveal my faithless heart.  When I choose fear instead of faith, I am really saying that God is not in control and He has no power to help me, which are two blatant lies straight from the pit.  My Heavenly Father is intimately aware of every detail of my life, and He knows exactly how to rescue me from peril or how to calm my spirit through the storm.  Luke 12:6-7 says, "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?  And not one of them is forgotten before God.  Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows."  The Creator of the universe knows the number of hairs on my head (even the gray ones).  He is fully capable of bringing good out of my circumstances for His glory.

Do not be afraid.  Do not be anxious.  The same God who spoke the world into existence and flung the stars into space knows you by name and has placed you where you are for a purpose.  HIS purpose.  Your job is to "seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you" (Luke 12:31).  Lord, help me to seek You first and allow You to work out all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment