Monday, February 14, 2011

No Matter What

My youngest daughter, Caroline, is in the throws of the terrible "almost" twos.  She is greatly afflicted with this stubborn, willful temperament that causes the rest of us frustration, and sometimes alarm, at any given moment.  Just this morning I stood patiently with my four year old, Eden, while we watched Caroline sit defiantly on the concrete steps leading up to the door, refusing to enter our house like she had been asked.  Before you judge me for letting that precious little girl sit in the cold, please understand that she has pulled this trick many times and I have had to drag her flailing body into the house, while she screams bloody murder.  I'm sure the neighbors will testify for me.  I just thought I would try a different approach this time. I'm never quite sure which method of mothering is going to help her learn obedience, so this season of life tends to keep me on my toes.
 
Earlier today, I made my sweet little Caroline as mad as a hornet.  As she began to revolt against her loving mother for not allowing her to have her way, I decided to try to "hug" her bad attitude right out of her.  So I sat down on the floor, and pulled her into my lap, wrapped my arms around that glaring, angry child, and told her I loved her.  She proceeded to scoot as quickly as she could out of my embrace and fling herself onto the floor.  Then she stood up and took off, going somewhere...ANYWHERE she could to escape mommy.


This moment, like many others in this season of life, served to remind me of God's unfailing love for His children.  Caroline was acting in an unbecoming way, but that act of defiance did not make me love her any less.  No matter what she does, I will love her just the same and long to have a relationship with my daughter.  The Heavenly Father feels the same way about us, except His love is pure, holy, and righteous.  His love never, ever fails.  Psalm 103:13 says, "As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him."  No matter where you have been or what you have done, the Lord loves you.  He longs to show you compassion.  Rest in His grace and mercy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment